Thursday, July 9, 2009

Need characters? Borrow from your family tree.

By Kim


I’m an accidental genealogist. I know it’s a strange hobby for a thirty-five year old, but compiling a family tree can be as much about stories and the characters who lived them as names and dates. What better raw material for a novelist?

Yes, your query would be rejected immediately if you begin with I’ve written a 150,000 word novel about my great uncle; but if that uncle happened to live a compelling life you can always wow an agent with the story first and casually mention your relationship to the protagonist later.

Still not convinced? While researching for my current work in progress, I’ve found Eleanor Douglass, a fiercely independent artist at the turn of the last century (and a minor character in my current book). Then there’s Edgar and Sarah Niles who left New York for the western frontier in the 1880s in a desperate attempt to cure Edgar’s consumption. The level of detail about pioneer life in their letters to family back home is enough to make any novelist salivate. Just last month I discovered that no one has ever written a book on one of the most famous Indian agents during the Revolutionary War. That’s three potential books right there, thanks to my second cousin, my great-great grandparents, and my 6x great grand-uncle.

I never had to search for the subject of my current work in progress. The most cherished fairy tales of my youth all featured a rather colorful character named Carl Ahrens. My grandmother, Tutu, used to entertain me with stories about Carl running away from home to live with the Indians or making a catastrophic attempt to fly off the barn roof. (My daughters cringe when I recite the flying tale, but always ask to hear it again.) As I grew older, the stories multiplied. Carl was a cowboy in pioneer Montana, befriended Calamity Jane, traveled the California coast by covered wagon, and spent an afternoon hiding in a buffalo hollow while warring bands of Indians shot arrows over his head. She never explained how he did all this while suffering from a crippling form of tuberculosis, and it seemed an unimportant detail.

Of course, all good heroes must have a heroine, and Carl found his while working in the Roycroft arts and crafts community. To keep the story interesting, or so I thought, Tutu complicated their relationship in deliciously scandalous ways. Carl, then 38, already had a wife who despised him but wouldn’t let him go. The “Madonna” he worshipped was all of 17. He was a genius with a paintbrush, but cantankerous and destitute. Irresistible as well, apparently, because Tutu occasionally slipped and called them Daddy and Momma.

Having grown up surrounded by paintings of trees that laughed, grieved, danced, and even embraced, I never questioned that my great-grandfather was both a real person and an amazing artist. However, it wasn’t until I was about seven that I began to associate the adventurer with the frail old man in the family photographs. One day my mother saw me playing with a small antique basket that has always fascinated me. She mentioned she believed it was Indian made and had likely been Carl’s. Running my fingers reverently over the basket’s intricate designs, I peered at the nearest old photos. They were candid snapshots instead of the dour portraits that were the vogue of the day. Madonna not only laughed as she sat beside Carl, but leaned into him, sometimes touching his arm or his hand. Carl gazed at her rather than at the camera, an expression of naked adoration on his face. Even then, looking at them made me smile.

We later inherited the photo of Carl I have included in this post. It was the first image I had seen of him as a young man. The resemblance between my real life hero (Dad) and my fictional one (Carl) was so striking that I could no longer doubt even the most outrageous of Tutu’s accounts.

After years of intensive research, I have proved the fairy tales true.

Now, obviously, not everyone has been blessed with such a character in their family tree, and some of you may be reading this and quaking at the idea of committing to a historical novel. I was, too. I fought the inevitable for years, going to college and graduate school and getting a “real job.” When I finally settled down to write something, I spewed out a contemporary and largely autobiographical novel I refer to as “literary vomit.” It is condemned to dwell in a box in my closet for eternity. My next attempt was better – some concepts can be recycled. The third novel was better still and will be worth resuscitating someday. As I typed the last few lines of it, however, I panicked. I minored in history. I took research classes in graduate school. I enjoyed being trapped in a room filled with nothing but old documents that no one had looked at in a century. I had written a novel with an artist protagonist. In short, I had spent the last ten years of my life preparing to write Carl’s story and had no excuses left. Gulp!

Even if you would rather run a mile barefoot on broken glass than look at eighteenth century census records, you can ask questions. Talk to parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Don’t listen simply for the names and dates, but wait for a character to speak to you. Look at those old family photos and study the faces. Some stories can be updated and others will remain firmly in the past. If nothing else, you can probably find some interesting character names. Think about what a conversation piece surnames such as Bottenhagan, Cuthwolf, Dunfrund and Frithogar would be. How about Godfrey Lothier III? He happens to be my 24th great-grandfather, but I’ll share.

11 comments:

  1. Fred Downes10 July, 2009

    Great piece! I especially liked the part about your real life hero (Dad)! That pretty much made my day.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marjorie Searl10 July, 2009

    Nice! Thanks for letting me know about this.

    Margie Searl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11 July, 2009

    Carl comes alive in the vitality of your own handling of sentences, Kim. Clearly there is an energy in your subject that awakens a corresponding energy in yourself, and enables you to envision him as if he were still pursuing Beauty in the same humorous, resourceful, perhaps mischievous way of old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11 July, 2009

    I've been mesmerized reading your blog and looking at all Carl's enchanting paintings on your website. Your article is excellently written.

    Betty Long

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11 July, 2009

    Hi Kim:
    We Canuck Waterloo County boys (ok, so Carl's mom just happened to be over the county line by a kilometer or so when she delivered!) like to have our stories told and I'm sure Carl (and Madonna) would be very happy watching your 'almost-lifelong' trail to your literary destiny.
    Although you've shared all the 'facts' (true and otherwise) of The Painter's life with me and all the other member of the Waterloo Historical Society in several ways (such as your website / recordings / live presentation / and feature article in our annual volume) I've not been able to fully grasp all the clues you've given out about your ping-pong journey learning how to best portray his exciting life. Your blog here with its zigzags, dead ends and promising pathways is now my guidebook to "Kim's Carl Country."
    As an historian myself, but one who seems welded to 'proven' facts rather than the creative use thereof, I've had fun trying to sort your Ahrens family stories, exaggerations (naked in Mennonite picnic!!), and made-ups from the documented facts of his life.
    Of his allotted 74 years or so on earth I think it's safe to say he spent no more than half of them here in Waterloo County, Ontario but we do think of him as 'our own' now --- thanks to your work.
    As I noted during Carl Ahrens Day in 2007 (when you attracted one of the largest crowds we've ever had at a WHS meeting) "You have removed Carl from the footnotes of our area's history." I'm sure even cranky old Carl would be pleased.
    By the way, we've made your New England/Texan self an honorary Waterloo County Ontario-ian so that when your Carl work is done we can claim you.
    We've loaned the US Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Alex Trebek so we're going to start re-claiming some almost-Canadians!
    Best of luck and keep up the great work.
    Perhaps you aren't allowed to advertise your website so I will say to people if they put dot com after your great-grandfather's name they'll learn a lot more about him.
    -rych mills
    past president/past vice-president/past director/
    Waterloo Historical Society
    Kitchener Ontario Canada
    rychmills@golden.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim,
    Thanks for sharing with your Cuz' the information on my 'almost' relative Carl. So nice to boast that I have a "Great and Famous Artist" and now an "Author" in my family. I'm anxious to follow you through this adventure filled blog.
    Cuz' Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. rych, if I had a certificate naming me an honorary Waterloo County Ontario-ian, I'd frame it and hang it in my office with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    A colleague who knows I own a Carl Ahrens painting introduced me to your website -- what a wealth of research you've amassed! I first learned of your great-grandfather's work when we included one of his tree pictures in an exhibition here at Memorial Art Gallery that explored the Roycroft community, including its fine artists. Now that I've learned more about Ahrens, seen the family photos, and read the story of your search for information, I appreciate my own painting even more. Thanks for your help in learning its provenance and narrowing the date when it was painted -- and I really enjoyed finding out that Ahrens made the frame himself! Good luck with your book -- it sounds terrific!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanette Ahrens14 July, 2009

    Kim,
    I have learned a great deal about the life of Carl Ahrens, thanks to you. I'm sure "this" side of the family might have portrayed some personal aspects between Carl and his first wife a bit differently, but that is human nature. That Madonna was the great love of his life is obvious from their photos. Whatever the intimate details, you have dipped your pen and painted a vibrant and living portrait of Carl as captivating and powerful as his paintings. I am looking forward to your book with great anticipation.
    Warm Regards,
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those of you who may be curious I started this book as narrative nonfiction. I switched to fiction because I DON'T want to turn Emily (Carl's first wife) into a villan. He could be an impossible man to live with and I do not shy away from from protraying his faults. I'm portraying a man, not a perfect being. I also happen to know and like several of my cousins from his marriage to Emily. Jeanette (comment above)is married to one of Carl's great-grandchildren from his marriage to Emily.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...