Monday, February 22, 2010

Dangerous Deadlines

by Pamela

It's been a wild week at work. An abundance of assignments has kept me busy, and I just now feel as though I'm able to exhale without fanning the flames.

Those who know me well will attest that I'm not a hyper person. I don't get easily excited unless I hear someone say, "I think I'm going to throw up." Otherwise, I'm even-keel Jill.

So, whenever I get a new story assigned, I check the deadline, make a note to myself as to how much time I have until then and plan accordingly. I actually like getting an assignment that's due quickly. If there's no time to procrastinate, then well, it has to get done now.

I've signed up to attend the DFWWW Conference coming in April and have used that as my self-imposed deadline for my WIP. Not only do I need to have it completed, it should be polished and pitch-ready.

While I'm realistic in the knowledge that writers don't typically walk away from a conference with an agent drooling on her shoes for their manuscripts, I do know that having signed up for a pitch session has motivated me to have something exciting to present.

So, last night, I opened my manuscript, reread a bit to get grounded and took off. Now, I'm breathing deeply and evenly, fanning the embers, excited to watch the sparks fly.


It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake. --Frederick Douglass

to read: The Fire in Fiction, by Donald Maass

5 comments:

  1. That's a great motivator! My little girl just told me there are only 11 more weeks of school. Yikes! That's my new deadline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, Pamela. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say it isn't so...11 weeks? That's a blink of an eye!

    You'll see it, Kim. Thanks for offering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, Pam. I'm cheering you on. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...