Friday, May 2, 2014

Today’s Post is Brought to You By…

Today’s non-post post is brought to you by the letter K (Kim), the number two (kids), and the words ‘allergies’ (my entire house), and ‘ouch’ (oldest child’s knee and, as of two hours ago, my big toe.)

At least my daughter injured herself while doing something she loves. Me, no, I just dropped a pound of frozen hamburger on my foot. Tonight’s lasagna had better be good.

Between the throbbing and the sneezing, any profound words I might have shared have been shoved aside and replaced by a rainbow of profanity. I thought our readers might prefer a less colorful list.

In my last post I shared a selection of titles on my to-be-read list. This time I thought I’d share some books that I have read and re-read, stories that have continued to resonate with me long after I have finished them. Some are classics from childhood, some are obscure to American audiences, and some are current favorites. All are titles I remember off the top of my head because, as you see from the photo, I’m not getting around so well at the moment.

Here they are, in no particular order:

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

Resistance by Anita Shreve

The Underpainter by Jane Urquhart

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Little Bee by Chris Cleve

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Claude and Camille by Stephanie Cowell

The Diviners by Margaret Laurence

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler

Room by Emma Donoghue

I Always Loved You by Robin Oliveira

Outlander (series) by Diana Gabaldon

Trinity by Leon Uris

Defiant Spirits by Ross King

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Ferney by James Long

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

The Hunger Games (series) by Suzanne Collins


There you have it, in case anyone needed any more summer reading suggestions. Have you read any of these? What did you think? Feel free to chime in with some titles of your own.

2 comments:

  1. Becky Yeater02 May, 2014

    Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    and of course, a huge endorsement of your listing of Anne of Green Gables. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always be a little in love with Gilbert Blythe, Becky.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...